Friday, October 19, 2012

Goats and a Pallet Goat Shed

We knew goats were in our future. We had planned on buying a few does and a buck come spring. You know, when things weren't so tight financially, and when we were FULLY prepared to house them and care for them. However, I don't think that was the Father's plan for us. Had I listened to His urging a few months ago, when I was budgeting for fencing and a goat shelter, I would have been fully prepared for the blessing of goats that came this week. But, I didn't. It didn't make sense to spend money on something we wouldn't need until spring...silly me. So, this week we have been scrambling around trying to get everything prepared on a VERY tight budget and with minimal supplies.

Let me introduce you to the goats we will be picking up on Sunday.

The twins are the only ones with names so far:
Lilly
One of our doe kids born this spring.

Lyza
Another doe kid born this spring
Our La Mancha (possibly an Alpine cross...not sure) who is still in milk.

Doe with mangled horns due to a misadventure in horn debudding...

Our Saanen doe...my favorite :-)

Our Alpine Buck. He looks like an X-ray, doesn't he?

Like I said, we had very little money to build anything with, so we used free pallets, OSB that was on sale, and as few 2x4's as possible. This is what we came up with. Stick around for the final picture, it gets better :-)







One more door to go...it started pouring rain.
 
My awesome pallet gate that I am very proud of!





Free pallets are the best and we are actually pretty happy with the results. We still have a lot of work to do, (fencing, roof, and eventually paint) but this is going to be a warm shelter for our goats this winter. We are so excited to welcome our new additions and it's just another reminder of Divine Providence and how evident it is in our lives.

For my dear friend, here is Charlie at almost a year old, in his favorite spot.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness I love it! The goat shelter is amazing and the Saanen is beautiful! Of course Miss wants to dog nap Charlie! I MISS YOU SO VERY MUCH!

    ReplyDelete